Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Visit to a Historical Site

My mom just bought a lake house in Huntsville and I have been making weekly trips up there to help her move and decorate. I always see the General Sam Houston Statue on the way, but I have never stopped to get a closer peak. Last weekend, I finally decided to check it out. It looks MUCH bigger when you are standing close to it. It is sitting on a huge granite block to keep people from climbing up on it and touching or defacing the statue. Come to find out, it's the largest statue of an American hero and the artist actually has a studio in The Heights. Sam Houston was a senator, governor, and leader of the Texas Revolution. He was a very controversial character, but did some ballsy things in his time. That is why the city of Houston is named after him. He also has many monuments and memorials in his honor. It's crazy how huge and how long this sculpture took to create!

No comments:

Post a Comment